Jul 07 2018

CoPrA – An Asyncronous Python Websocket Client for Coinbase Pro

I know it’s too much too hope that I have any regular readers, but if you  come here even infrequently you may have noticed it’s been seven months since I last posted. You may even have wondered what I have been up to.  What could’ve possible kept Tony so busy that he would totally ignore his blog for more than half a year? Well, I’ll tell you. Fortnite. I have been busy getting my ass kicked 24-7 by eleven year-olds in Fortnite. It is embarrassing quite honestly.

In between matches, however, I actually have been productive working on intelligent agents for trading cryptocurrency on the Coinbase Pro (formerly GDAX) exchange. While most of the high level code isn’t ready for prime time yet, a good portion of the low level, workhorse code has been road tested and is relatively stable.  Since other developers might find it useful, I’ve decided to begin releasing it into the wild.

This week I released the first of my code: CoPrA, an asyncronous Python WebSocket client.  CoPrA is built on top of the phenomenal Autobahn|Python WebSocket framework.  While it is certainly possible to use Autobahn itself for a Coinbase client, its options are multitudinous and generally more complicated than necessary for most applications.  My goal with CoPrA, therefore, was to simplify the WebSocket interface without sacrificing any of the functionality I need.

I will be following up shortly with a more detailed tutorial for using CoPrA, but if you’d like to take it for a test drive now, you can install it using pip:

$ pip3 install copra

CoPrA can also be installed from source. Either clone the repository from github:

$ git clone https://github.com/tpodlaski/copra

or download the tarball:

$ curl -OL https://github.com/tpodlaski/copra/tarball/master'

Once you’ve downloaded a copy of the source files, you can install CoPrA with:

$ python3 setup.py install

I’m looking for feedback, suggestions, bugs, or any other comments, so please feel free to leave them in the comments below.  Look for another post on CoPrA soon.

Links:

15 comments

Skip to comment form

1. Awesome… will try this weekend! Played with another library but it gets clogged up calling blocking functions and I’d like to avoid threads if possible.

• Tony on September 20, 2018 at 1:30 pm
        Author

I’d love to hear out it works out for you. Good luck!

2. Don’t want to mess up your github with dumb questions… in the on_message callback, I occasionally need to call a long-running function (I’m placing a buy/sell limit order at best ask/bid and canceling/replacing it if price moves – to avoid paying maker fees and this can take a few seconds or even several minutes) and this stops me from getting ws messages until the function returns.

Is there a recommended way to asynchronously call my long-running function so I keep getting on_message callbacks?

Thanks.

• Tony on September 21, 2018 at 5:39 pm
        Author

I would suggest making your long running function asynchronous and then use loop.create_task to add it to the loop where you need to in on_message. This will run your function in “parallel” with the rest of the websocket code.

1. Great, I was just starting to try that!!

2. I know you didn’t sign up to debug my code, but…

I’ve tried:
        loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()
        task = loop.create_task(update_candles(parsed_time, num_candles=1, quote_curr=’ETH’, base_curr=’USD’))

also tried:
        asyncio.ensure_future(update_candles(parsed_time, num_candles=1, quote_curr=’ETH’, base_curr=’USD’))

def async update_candles()

In both cases, it calls the update_candles() function but blocks

• Tony on September 21, 2018 at 6:42 pm
            Author

update_candles will block once the loop calls it unless you’re able to await whatever is holding you up. Are you waiting for a state change? There are a few (more elegant) ways to do it, but I usually just set up a while loop that checks the condition and exits when the condition is met or otherwise calls await asyncio.sleep(0) which releases control back to the event loop for a cycle before checking the condition again.

1. update_candles() does this:
            * makes buy/sell decision
            * gets latest bid/ask (REST, but want to use ws ticker)
            * places buy or sell at best bid or ask (REST)
            * loops and gets order status
            – If filled, then return
            – if bid/ask changes then cancel existing order and replace at latest bid or ask
            – else continue

There is no async code within update_candles.

• Tony on September 21, 2018 at 7:12 pm
              Author

I’ve written similar code although I am using an asynchronous FIX client for placing/cancelling orders. I’m pulling the asks/bids and order statuses from the websocket feed. The bottleneck for me was watching for the bid/ask changes. That was the loop I put await.asyncio.sleep(0) in.

2. Oh, I see… ok, let me try to insert some await asyncio.sleep(0) in the loop

3. Awesome… adding a bunch of await asyncio.sleep(0) seems to do the trick and the main blocker now is just a synchronous REST call to get bid/ask… but I can rewrite that to get it from ws ticker and so things should be rocking now. Thanks so much. When I get this working, there will be invite to the private island it buys. 😉

3. And the happy ending is that slippage is down by like 75% using ws instead of rest. Thanks again.

• Tony on September 22, 2018 at 4:59 pm
            Author

You are very welcome. I’m very happy it is working out for you. If you have any other questions or just want to talk shop, shoot me a message. Best of luck!

• Tony on September 21, 2018 at 5:53 pm
        Author

On a side note, I have code for an asynchronous REST client for Coinbase Pro that I am cleaning up, writing tests and documentation for, etc. that I plan to add to CoPrA. No ETA on that unfortunately.

1. No worries… build one for Bitmex! afaik, they have no working Python library and don’t seem to care that much about.